Thursday, July 21, 2005

 

American Soldier by Tommy Franks


One of my friends at church gave this book to me and honestly, I wasn't in a hurry to read it. I love reading about WWII and biographies about Generals. However, I had never read anything about modern warfare or contemporary people. Give me Patton, Eisenhower and Rommel. (Deep down in the scary recesses of my mind, I think wanted to be one of them.)

I was pleasently surprised. You never know how much was written by him or his cowriter, but you get the feeling that you're just sitting around the kitchen table listening to a master story teller (complete with the occassional well placed expletive!)

The story begins with his early life in the 50's and then moves to his days in Vietnam as a junior artillery officer. Then he quickly moves over his time during the last days of the Cold War in Germany. The main chapters tell the story of his time as a One Star General during Desert Storm and then the Four Star General commanding the whole shootin' match for the war in Afghanistan and Iraq. The story bogs down toward the end as it seems like it is the same thing over and over. However, this is a great read the does nothing but deepen your appreciattion and respect for the men and women who devote their lives to protecting ours.

Rating: Two Stars

Comments:
I've wanted to read that one because I think that they're all true American hero's. Franks talks a lot about Schwarzkpf a lot in his book and it is always interesting.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?