Thursday, July 21, 2005

 

Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis

I'm leading a book discussion group this summer at church. I've never been in a discussion group, so I had no idea how to lead one. I also had to choose the books, which was daunting. The theme of the books is "Classic Books on Discipleship." I knew I couldn't go wrong with this classic. In fact, Mere Christianity was voted as the #1 most influencial Christian book of the century by Christianity Today.

Anyway, I read the book originally in college (which was 15 years ago!!!!) I had forgotten how conversational it was. (It was originally given as radio addresses during WWII.) In fact, I could almost hear a stately English accent as I read. I believe it has the be the most accessable, easy to read book on theology ever written. Actually, you don't even thing that you're reading theology.

Two things stand out. First, the entire basis of his reasoning seems to be based in simple logic. Christianity is true because it makes the most sense of the world and facts. While I agree with his conclusions, I wonder how this approach will resonate in a post-modern setting? His starting point is the assumption of absolute truth and the general belief among post-moderns is that there is no such a thing as absolute truth. I do think, however, that the majority of people still operate under a modern reasoning process.

Second, Lewis seems to wander dangerously close to universalism. While there certainly is an element of truth in other religions, all roads do not lead to Jesus. I believe that he is mistaken on this point.

Overall, this book has probably been instrumental in leading countless people Christ, which is great. It is probably the greatest single articulation of the Christian faith outside the Bible itself.

Rating: Three Stars

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?