Thursday, June 29, 2006

 

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Edwina Crews introduced me the lazy town of Maycomb, Alabama in 12th grade literature class. While we had to read several books that I absolutely despised at the time, this one somehow broke through my dislike of reading. Now that I think of it, this was probably the very first "real" book that I read from cover to cover. Since high school, I've probably read it least four or five times. The amazing thing, though, is that it gets better with every reading.

So much has been written about this book that I feel completely inadequate offering any insight and observations. So, therefore I won't offer any except this: To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the best books ever written for two reasons. First, it takes on the subject of racism and prejudice in both a subtle and overstated way. The two storylines (the comical accounts of the kids and their dealings with Boo Radley and the trial of Tom Robinson) are really the same story with different endings. Second, the construction of the book is pure genius. If you want a great time of literary analysis, just google the title. I'm sure that people have gotten Ph.D.'s examining this book.

I'll take a risk and assume that you've read the book (watching the movie doesn't count.) If you haven't, you really should. So, working on the the assumption that you've read it, here are my top five favorite reasons I like this book so much.

5. Atticus Finch is the absolute personification of fatherhood.

4. There was a place down the road from my childhood home that sound eerily similar to the Radley house.

3. I laugh out loud every time I think about the lie that Dill told to as to why Jem lost his pants.

2. The thought of Scout beating the daylights of her cousin at Christmas.

1. The idea of Scout cussing as a way to persuade Atticus to let her stay home from school.

Simply put, one of the best books of all time.

Rating: 3 Stars

Comments:
Why did you only give it 3 stars if it's a "must read" book?
 
In reality, only a non-fiction book can get a rating of "4" in my system. It doesn't matter how good the fiction book is, I won't read it every year.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?