Sunday, August 28, 2005

 

A Matter of Interpretation by Justice Antonin Scalia


I've always thought that if I wasn't a minister I could have been a lawyer. Just like Tom Cruise in A Few Good Men...

"I want the truth!"

"You can't handle the truth!"

Except that I can handle the truth. On the one occasion that I've ever watched C-SPAN (really), I saw a discussion between Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia and one of the other liberal justices (I think it was Breyer.) It was absolutely fascinating! They talked back and forth about what they use in determining rulings for the Supreme Court--like European law, congressional committee reports, and so forth. Scalia pretty much laid the smack down (logically, that is; although he could have probably done it physically if given the opportunity) on Mr. Ice Cream. He instantly became my hero.

I picked up the book on Half.com and finally got around to reading it. While I know absolutely nothing about the law (except that 55 in a 25 is bad), it was pretty understandable. He details how he thinks laws should be interpreted and why our country is in trouble because of judicial legislation. It was very enlightening and kind of scary. You wouldn't believe how judges decide cases! (Hint: it usually doesn't have anything to do with what is written in the law.) The book also includes responses from SCJ wanna-be's who make the mistake of disagreeing with him. Scalia then responds to them and the blood-letting follows.

Overall, it was one of those books that make you feel smart because you read it. I also just like answering "A Matter of Interpretation" by Antonin Scalia when people ask, "What have you read lately." It gives the illusion of being well read when I'm really not.

Rating: Two Stars

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?